|French Chocolate Macarons|
[Note: I like to write directions myself in a easy, simple and short format. What I write is also just off the top of my head.]
Chocolate Ganache (filling):
160ml heavy whipping cream
80g semi-sweet chocolate
40g Nutella spread
1. Heat heavy whipping cream in a small saucepan till almost boiling.
2. Pour heated cream over chocolate and Nutella. Let it sit to melt for 2 minutes. Stir until everything is melted together.
3. Place in freezer to cool. Stir every once in a while to prevent film on top.
4. Once cool enough, beat with a electric mixer for less than 30 seconds to form a frosting like consistency.
120g almond meal
200g confectioner's sugar
20g cocoa powder
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
30g caster sugar
4 drops of red food coloring (opt.)
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract (opt.)
1. In a food processor, blend together almond meal, confectioner's sugar, and cocoa powder. Sift through and discard* leftover bits.
2. Whip egg whites with cream of tartar, caster sugar, red food coloring and vanilla extract until stiff peak.
3. Fold dry mixture into egg white mixture 1/3 dry at a time.
4. Pipe onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. Preheat oven to 300°F (should take 10-15 minutes.)
5. Bake at 300°F for 15-17 minutes.
6. Let macaron cookies cool completely on baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks.
7. Pipe chocolate-nutella ganache on a cookie and sandwich the filling with another cookie. (as done in the photo.)
*I grind my own almond meal, so instead of throwing out the almond its, they get put into other DIY recipes, such has fresh face masks, etc.
Happy holidays, everyone!